Sunday, May 5, 2013

DIY Pedalboard

As a musician, innovation should not apply to just music making, but rather all aspects of your life. When you are presented with a problem, be innovative and seek out a creative solution! You might find that in the end, the rewards of your creative efforts far exceed the results of taking the easy way out. This is why today, we will focus on building your own pedalboard.

Here was my problem:

In search of new sounds, my pedal collection quickly reached the point where I needed something to stay neat and organized. Horribly turned off by the prices of pre-fabricated pedalboards, I went looking for an alternative solution. I found that some people used wood boards, while other used lunch trays and other odd materials. I even saw one constructed out of an old suitcase. After stumbling across a couple DIY projects, I decided I would build my own pedalboard from scratch. 

You can construct your own for half or even a third of the cost (mine cost me about $40)

Here's the best part: you can make it look however you want!

This was my solution:


Not bad, eh? I used scrap wood to create the frame, which I cut, filed, and spray painted. I bought a 2"x15' box of industrial velcro to anchor the pedals down securely.


Here is a side view of my project:

 Here, you can see how I fastened a strip of 90 degree aluminum as a foot guard:

Handles were a breeze:

Rubber feet keep the pedalboard securely in place:

Another view:

If anyone would like further instruction on how to create their own pedalboard, I can lend more advice and tips. I build custom boards to order if anyone is interested, but they do cost the price of a new pedalboard...these things are a full weekend project! 

Enjoy, and happy building.

-Austin

Email: innovativeguitarist@gmail.com



1 comment:

  1. Cool project! I'll have to try my hand at this...

    ReplyDelete